I've only seen DSPF and EDTF on iSeries.

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:55:27 -0500, rob@xxxxxxxxx said:
> I thought of that.  There are already several utilities out there that
> IBM 
> has renamed to appease those who prefer the IBM commands.  Granted, in 
> general I do prefer the IBM naming convention.  However, if a command is 
> used across multiple operating systems, then I'll use the standard. 
> Examples abound in the TCP/IP according to IBM world
> NETSTAT = WRKTCPSTS
> NSLOOKUP = STRDNSQRY
> PING = VFYTCPCNN
> 
> But if this is all it takes to make a customer happy...
> 
> By the way, are DSPF/EDTF a pair of those commonly found commands?
> 
> Rob Berendt
> -- 
> Group Dekko Services, LLC
> Dept 01.073
> PO Box 2000
> Dock 108
> 6928N 400E
> Kendallville, IN 46755
> http://www.dekko.com
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
> Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 03/22/2004 02:07 PM
> Please respond to
> Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> 
> 
> To
> "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
> 
> Subject
> RE: Record size limitation in RPG - MQ Series
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Create a command called DSPUSRSPC. Have it associated with a CL of the
> same name. One liner in the CL - DSPF.
>  
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:59:33 -0500, rob@xxxxxxxxx said:
> > I see your point.
> > 
> > However, what would you expect a 'iseries' based command to give you, to 
> 
> > work with a user space, that EDTF/DSPF doesn't?  If it isn't that much 
> > more capable, or easier to use, then I just as soon they put the money 
> > into something else.
> > 
> > If IBM created a command, DSPUSRSPC, and it looked pretty much like 
> DSPF, 
> > would you be happy?
> > 
> > Rob Berendt
> > -- 
> > Group Dekko Services, LLC
> > Dept 01.073
> > PO Box 2000
> > Dock 108
> > 6928N 400E
> > Kendallville, IN 46755
> > http://www.dekko.com
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > "jt" <jt@xxxxxx> 
> > Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > 03/22/2004 10:37 AM
> > Please respond to
> > Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > 
> > 
> > To
> > "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > cc
> > 
> > Subject
> > RE: Record size limitation in RPG - MQ Series
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Iirc, I had a tool to do this and it took relatively "no time" to
> > develop.
> > IF so, and IF I had access to it, I wouldn't release it to the public
> > because the code was crappy, however.
> > 
> > But what I wonder is how's come IBM hasn't come up with such-a tool all
> > these years?!?
> > 
> > Lemme answer that rhetorical question, Rob.  Because pseudo-dweebs 
> prefer
> > EDTF and the Kings of the DCRS such as yourself prefer a Windoze-like
> > interface as opposed to CmdLine tools.  That's why.
> > 
> > And it's also because there are, according to Mr. Zollar, there are
> > 3,000,000 Java programmers and 300,000 RPG programmers.  So,
> > over-applying
> > the 80/20 rule, the 300,000 RPGers get essentially zero development 
> > dollars,
> > and they're just expected to eat dung like they have been for the past
> > decade or two.
> > 
> > Is there something here you don't comprehend, Rob?
> > 
> > 
> > | -----Original Message-----
> > | [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
> > 
> > | Earlier on in the thread it was stated that there was no utility to
> > | display the contents of a user space.  For example, if you wanted to
> > see
> > | if your program was updating it properly.  Thus, in that case, DSPF is
> > a
> > | valid utility.  I suppose you could do a DMPOBJ, but I think that is 
> > even
> > | more 'dweeby'.
> > |
> > | Rob Berendt
> > 
> > | "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
> > | Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > | 03/21/2004 12:53 PM
> > 
> > | Didn't know that, Colin.
> > |
> > | But WHY would anybody WANT to do this??  (I used EDTF.. like once or 
> > twice
> > | was enuf, iirc.)  I mean, as opposed to STRSEU QGPL/STRCODE...
> > |
> > | *Nix-like attitude won out again, apparently.  Never surprises me, but
> > | then,
> > | never ceases to amaze me either.
> > |
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing 
> > list
> > To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> > visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
> > or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> > at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
> > list
> > To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> > visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
> > or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> > at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
> > 
> -- 
>  
>   michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> -- 
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free
> _______________________________________________
> This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing 
> list
> To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
> or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
> list
> To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
> or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
> 
-- 
  
  michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.