To add to the confusion (!!) -- user spaces have been described as similar in function to data areas, in that they are an unformatted space (type 19) that can be used as the will of a developer. We see the object-based nature of the 400 here - both objects are object type 19 - a "space" - with different subtypes. They both have the common characteristics of a space, with differences, depending which subtype they are. E.g., a data area has a size limit that a user space does not. A user space has no additional tpe attribute (*CHAR, *DEC), whereas a data area does.

BTW, a physical file is a type 19 subtype 01. There are about 130 objects of type 19, with different subtypes. Some are object types we can see - 57 of them, including *LIB, *TBL, *FILE - all kinds of things. The rest are objects we can't manipulate from XPF (above MI) - a mail document is in this group, e.g.

To be practical -- user spaces have on great asset,aas jt said - they can extend automagically, if you change one of their attributes to this setting. This means that, instead of allocating memory yourself, with all its concomitant dangers, you just refer to a location in the user space, and the system makes it big enough to include that address. The maximum size is, in fact, 512 bytes less than 16 megabytes - someone else knows exactly what is in those 512s.

Another interesting bit, first mentioned in MidrangeServer, I think, is that you can view and change user spaces by using the DSPF and EDTF commands. EDTF is meaningful only with text data - it won't show you binary data, and has no way to show the hex form, as DSPF does (F10). But tres cool! You can even CPY a user space to a PF (has to exist before copying) or a STMF. There is another possibility which I leave as an exercise for the reader.

HTH
Vern