Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Himes, Jay" <jehimes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
02/12/2004 09:16 AM

noticed
is if the PC goes down for any reason with out being disconnected first we
cannot connect again; however, this doesn't happen very often.

-----Original Message-----
From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 9:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: V5R2 Console Recommendations

Actually IBM is abandoning an expensive technology.  Who wants to buy a
twinax adapter, or eat up a slot in their iSeries for something that
doesn't leave the computer room?   And they aren't as reliable as people
make them out to be.  I remember replacing lots of 3196's because the on
off
switches went bad.  And if they were so reliable, then why did we have
boxes
of keyboards that didn't match monitors (until we recently cleaned up our
computer room)?  And I remember a twinax card in the iseries going bad and
being limited to telnet, etc.
The Op's console just has so much more function available.

So, did people use to argue that the old card readers should be kept in
case
the terminals were down?

James, I know that you pride yourself on using MI or whatever so that your
code will continue to run on V1R3 or whatever, but some of us have moved
on.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"James H H Lampert" <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
02/10/2004 06:36 PM
Please respond to

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: V5R2 Console Recommendations

> I have always preferred dumb 5250 twinax devices as consoles because
> when the chips are down, they work. However, they do take a lot of
> space, are no longer sold by IBM, are not the "modern" way of doing
> things, etc, etc, etc.

Has IBM Rochester been taking doofus lessons from Microsloth? Abandoning a
proven, cheap, reliable technology (i.e., Twinax terminals, which are NOT
"dumb," at least not in the sense that an old Lear ADM-3 "glass TTY" is
dumb) just because it isn't "slick," while continuing to shove (with
ever-increasing force) an expensive, congenitally-obsolete bit of
bloatware (i.e., Client Access, and everything that depends specifically
on it) down people's throats?

For crying out loud, I DESIGNED an emulator, and I KNOW that there's never
been one that has the aesthetics, the 132-column-readability, and the
reliability of a 3487-HC.

--
JHHL