Vern,

One of these two test systems has a 192.168.x.x address behind a router
running NAT.  The other has a valid public IP address.  No hops though
other systems.  The VPN works fine - it was set up through the IBM
Universal Connection wizard as a Direct connection to Internet - something
you need PTF's for I think - see the end of this article:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/771d7da65a1f40b486256a5300473ef4

...Neil

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
2004/02/10 14:42

cc

Subject
Re: SDM1002 on Service Agent connect via VPN

Neil, I'm curious - are those systems live on the Internet - i.e., they
have valid Internet addresses? Or do they hop to an iSeries with a valid
IP
address? I don't believe the VPN method works if you are behind a NAT-type

router, unless you have an iSeries outside of your protected network.

If the iSeries is a 192.168.x.x type box (or equivalent class A or B), and

you can get out via VPN, I'd love to know how, without a box to hop to. I
wondered (but have not tried) whether it'd work with a DMZ-type setting on

our LinkSys to the iSeries, with port forwarding through the router. Of
course, both those are not anything I'd want to do with a production box.

Vern