I wasn't thinking about changing a translation format.  I was just
thinking about interfaces, etc.  In the translation format, they are
either going to have to replicate one file on a more timely fashion, or
manually do the changes on the second system.  I would think a manual
replication or a second rekeying would allow you to test the translation
prior to production.  But that may require replication of the data to be
translated back to the development machine.
What happens here is that the EDI package we use is replicated very
rarely.  And some testing is done on the development machine.  Mainly it's
used to get the record layout for compiles.  I suspect all layout changes
are done to the production machine.
Perhaps if I could get more timely data then better testing would happen
on the development machine.  However, the excuse that the division
distribution, (which is rather custom here), may be tough to set up on
development.  I am hoping that something can be done.  I think a
disproportionate number of our MSGW's on our production machine are EDI
related.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/10/2004 03:54 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: Integrating EDI (Gentran) into CMS (Turnover)

Rob,

Well they one example they gave me was working on a new/changed document
that they just got a test sent for.  So they are looking for basically
up-to-the-minute.

Apparently, lots of times the EDI doc is changed without warning.  So they
end up having to make quick changes to programs.

To make matters worse, when there's a problem in the EDI it absolutely,
positively must get fixed within a very limited time frame.

Thus, the EDI guys are afraid that they'll have to make changes directly
production.

I know that the "need to make quick change to production" mindset is part
of
the problem.  But given the critical nature of EDI, management isn't going
to stop the EDI guys from doing what they say the need to do.  It's up to
me
too put together something and prove to them they won't need to change
production directly.

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to set up the Gentran Application on
the test LPAR using DDM files to production.

Ideally, somebody's put together a set of "tools" that would allow Gentran
partners, maps, and other to be integrated into the CMS.  Technically, it
would be most appropriate for our Gentran configuration to be under some
sort of CMS.  Changing a EDI map has the same affect has changing a
program.

Charles