Now you tell me about option 1.  :-(
Now I've got to figure out how to change that.  Because our downtime
instructions have us testing the http://www.dekko.com website when the
system comes back up, and that uses the funny address from the inside. Now
at least I know why that PC can't get to there.  This last weekend I got
on the IBM community tools and had some other late owl verify that it
worked.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/10/2004 02:48 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: V5R2 Console Recommendations

Marty

I'm using the latest OpsConsole (V5R2) against our V5R1 and V5R2 270s.
Also
using PCOMM's Async Console against our V3R7 150. Everything works great
now, once a couple things are done and observed.

1. If the iSeries is on your internal network (192.168.x.x type
addresses),
make sure that you do NOT use 192.168.0.0 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for
your internal network - OpsConsole insists on grabbing that whole thing.
We
use 192.168.1.0

2. Try not to disconnect the cable - this can mess the thing up, I've used

a *FULL IPL to have the machine rebuild device info - don't know if that's

really what's going on, but it has worked.

HTH
Vern

At 11:18 AM 2/10/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I have always preferred dumb 5250 twinax devices as consoles because when
>the chips are down, they work. However, they do take a lot of space, are
no
>longer sold by IBM, are not the "modern" way of doing things, etc, etc,
etc.
>I had a model 150 with an async ops console one time and it was terrible
-
>the thing would fail to reconnect half the time in the middle of touchy
>procedures like IPLs for PTFs, storage dumps, etc. I am hoping the new
>console technologies have come a long way since then and maybe it is time
>try again.
>
>Which of IBM's current console approaches do you guys recommend (or not)?
We