Jeff,

Two things come to mind immediately that you can control without a full IPL.
They might be worth an experiment on your part.

1) If you bring the system into a dedicated state and measure the decrease
in disk space, you will have an indication of how much space had been
accumulated by your long-running jobs.  While an IPL would not perform any
overt cleanup in this case, simply by ending the jobs and then starting them
again, space will be freed up.

2) If you perform a fair amount of development and compile with
replace(*yes) you will accumulate the replace objects in a library called
QRPLOBJ, which will be cleared at IPL.  You can clear this yourself if you
wish.  Check the library (as Walden suggested) and see if it's full of stuff
after a week or so.

On a 580 GB system, an 8% drop is the equivalent of over 45 GB.  I doubt
that QRPLOBJ is a factor of that scale.  Upgrading your operating system and
applying current PTF's may end up being your best solution if you are
starting to consider this a serious problem.  Each version of the operating
system in the recent past has made improvements in the area of running
without IPL's for long periods of time.  V4R4 is not at level of V5R2 in
this regard.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse