On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Steve Landess wrote:

> > "Booth Martin" wrote:
> > I never understood why programmers don't have a portfolio of code they
> have
> > written, to be used to evaluate their skills.  I've never understood why
> IT
> > Managers don't demand to see samples of programs and documentation.  A
> > portfolio is not hard to develop and it is a wonderful opportunity to show
> > My best practices, according to my own rulz."    A portfolio is a common
> > practice in many of the creative professions, why not in ours?

Replying to Booth, I think a portfolio is a great idea.  Perhaps it is the
technical aspect of our profession that has kept people from viewing it as
a creative work.

> 1) How many times have you written a program from scratch?  I can tell you
> that in 23 years as a programmer I can probably count on both hands the
> number of programs that I actually wrote from scratch without copying major
> sections of code from other programs, authored by other programmers.  The
> most recent programs that I wrote from scratch were actually generated by
> the JDE CASE tool, so it doesn't show MY creativity, only that of the author
> of the CASE tool, since 90% of the code was computer-generated.

I don't think a program written from scratch is required.  But even so,
you do have some.  Your portfolio need not every program you've ever
worked on, just samples.  Those samples need not even be entire programs,
snippets will do.  Certainly the snippet needs to be extensive enough
to show your skills.

In the case of generated code, there is always some human input required.
The program didn't write itself.  Show examples of what you did or the
design process you followed.  A portfolio is designed to show how you
think and what creative skills you have.  Maybe a flowchart or screenshot
of the UI would be appropriate.

> 2) Too easy to fabricate! I would still have to go through a lengthy
> technical interview to ascertain whether or not you have the requisite
> skills for the position being offered.  I don't necessarily trust that you
> wrote the code that you are presenting as your own.  It's very easy to put
> your name in the comments as the author of the code when in fact most or all
> of it was written by others.

Booth already addressed this issue and he is correct.  This is not a
unique problem to computer related hires.  Really this is no different
than verifying that a given resume is authentic.  But more on this below.

> 3)  Many if not most companies would *not* give you permission to take
> copies of code that you wrote.  Given this assumption, if you did present a
> portfolio of code samples, I would assume that you violated the terms of any
> non-disclosure or non-compete agreement by doing so, and I would know that
> you're not necessarily a trustworthy person.

You may be assuming too much, then.  I have code that I can show that I
wrote and that is perfectly legal and unencumbered to show.  Perhaps not
everyone does.  Let me suggest this then:  be involved in the public
iSeries community.  Post code that answers questions posted here on the
midrange.com lists.  Put together a web site like Booth's, Martin's, or
Scott's.  Contribute ideas, documentation, code, or other resources to the
public community.  Be involved.  That way you will gain a portfolio almost
automatically.  Your portfolio will consist of messages in the archives,
code in wyattERP, documentation online, services that you host, or a
number of other things.

While not every employer participates in this community, a trail of your
work will still be built and you can show him that.  It is impressive to
say in an interview when asked of your work history, "Just google for my
name and look at the first 10 hits."

James Rich

"As for security, being lectured by Microsoft is like receiving wise words
on the subject of compassion from Stalin."
      -- mormop on lwn.net