midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   6. Re: Adopted Authority (David Gibbs)
>
>MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Now, How does one use adopted authority?
>
>It's deceptively simple ...
>
>Compile the program that performs the function you want.  Change the
>owner of the program to whoever actually has the authority you want to
>adopt, then do a CHGPGM and set USRPRF(*OWNER) and USEADPAUT(*YES).

Just a minor clarification... the USEADPAUT(*YES) might or might not be
appropriate; impossible to tell from the original request though it seems
unlikely to be needed.

This parameter would be needed if the previous program(s) -- probably the menu
program here -- had adopted authority that was important for this program.
USEADPAUT(*YES) would say to "use adopted authority if it's available from
previous call levels". I suspect that for this program *OWNER authority would
be sufficient and USEADPAUT(*YES/*NO) wouldn't make a difference.

I see this parm used most often to specify *NO when there's a chance that
previous call levels might pass on inappropriately high authority. For example,
PGMA adopts QSECOFR and calls PGMB. Because PGMB displays a command line and
the programmer wanted the command line to be tied to the job user rather than a
previous program's owner, she set PGMB to USEADPAUT(*NO). Then PGMA's adopted
authority is not used by PGMB.

AFAIK, this value has no effect on USRPRF(*OWNER) adopted authority for the
current program. (I'll gladly accept corrections.)

Side note: Every once in a while, I have a need for a PRPADPAUT(*NO) --
propagate adopted authority -- setting. I have perhaps PGMA that runs under
*OWNER but I don't want *OWNER passed to lower call levels. And since I don't
own the programs called by PGMA, I have no say in whether they're
USEADPAUT(*YES/*NO). Only thing I've thought of is to call an intermediary for
every lower program and each intermediary is USEADPAUT(*NO). If there are
better ideas, please pass them on.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until
3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.