Couldn't you write a macro in excel to populate the iSeries database either
triggered on some event or based on a certain interval?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           "David A Parnin"    |
|         |           <daparnin@cooperstan|
|         |           dard.com>           |
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           midrange-l-bounces@m|
|         |           idrange.com         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           12/17/2003 01:14 PM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Midrange Systems    |
|         |           Technical Discussion|
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

  |       To:       midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: Direct update to Excel spreadsheets

If you just want to populate/update files in an Excel spreadsheet with
AS/400 data then Showcase can do the trick.  Every time you open the
spreadsheet it prompts you to update the links or to keep the current data.
You can break the links if you want the data to remain static in the
spreadsheet.  You can send the spreadsheets to people without Showcase and
they can still open them.  If the amount of data expands and contracts it
can dynamically adjust the cells below.

It sounds like you want to extract from Excel on to the AS/400 although the
links you provided seem to be for things that go the other way.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      rob@xxxxxxxxx

                                               To:
MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx@SMTP@CTB
                      12/17/2003 10:47         cc:

                      AM                       Subject:  Direct update to
Excel spreadsheets
                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midra

                      nge.com>

The PHB is purchasing this application that runs on a PC.  It will poll
the PLC's and update well defined cells in an Excel spreadsheet.  Now he
wants a tool that will run on the iSeries that will go out to that PC,
open up that spreadsheet, and extract data from just those cells.

Years ago I had looked at an application that would not only read, but
could update, cells on a Lotus spreadsheet stored in a shared folder on
the 400.  I've lost all documentation on that product.  My question is
"Anyone know of such a product?"

Boss does NOT want the PC's spreadsheet stored on the iSeries.

My argument was to use a socket program on the iSeries to poll the PLC's
directly but I lost out.  Goes to show you that sometimes you need to take
the time to learn new technology even when you don't have a current need
so that you can be more useful, immediately, when the need arises.  "One
of these days" I'll take that sockets tutorial.

"All creatures will make merry... under pain of death."
-Ming the Merciless (Flash Gordon)