QSYSWRK does not follow the normal rules in that you don't have to start
QCTL or call QSTRUP for it to start, if it is not running it will start
automatically when you start any other subsystem. (As of V5R1 if Start
TCP/IP is *YES in the IPL attributes TCP/IP will start when QSYSWRK starts.)

Restricted state means all subsystems are ended and the only job is the
console job in QCTL.  Message CPF0968 will be issued to the QSYSOPR message
queue and the history log.  You need to run the ENDSBS *ALL manually from
the console to do this.

I do not use the SAVALLACT and SAVCHGACT commands, but it looks like they
need to be issued manually from the console.  They will take the system to a
restricted state then restart the system after the libraries sync.  There is
also a TAATOOL that will allow you to issue these commands with a delay to
run at a later time.  Documentation for TAATOOLs is at:
http://www.taatool.com/toolinfo.htm  It also appears that these commands
only affect your library save, not your SAVDLO or your SAV.  If your system
completely restarts after the libraries sync you may still have issues with
DLO's or IFS objects.

You do not need to have a restricted system to run SWA backups, it only
needs to be idle.  Only user jobs that update files need to be ended.  A
quick check of the joblog will tell you if you missed anything that needs to
be ended.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
AS/400 System Administrator