Dave,

What we do to get the synch point is to get into a restricted state, start
up our subsystem (which always starts QSYSWRK, because QSYSWRK does not
follow the rules of work management) rekill QSYSWRK, and then issue the
SAVLIB command with a wait time of 0.  *SYNCLIB is the correct level to
specify.  The restricted state solution will not work in an IASP
environment.  The default time of 120 seconds per object is way too long.

There is a TAA Tool that will do what you want.  See:

http://www.taatool.com/document/L_savact.htm

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

             "David A Parnin"
             <daparnin@coopers
             tandard.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Save-while-active questions /
             12/16/2003 02:49          concerns
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Greetings everyone,

For our daily backups we have traditionally killed QINTER and another
subsystem or two, done the save's, then IPLed.  Awhile back I removed the
IPL and added code to restart what was shut down.  I am now getting ready
to implement save-while-active to reduce the downtime window even more.  I
don't have a problem with monitoring for when the checkpoint has been
established and restarting things but I do have a couple of questions.

How close to a restricted state does the system need to be to establish a
good checkpoint?  In the past even though QINTER was down there was still a
subsystem with some never-ending EDI jobs.  I assume that needs to be ended
to get a good checkpoint.  Perhaps a bigger concern is with ODBC jobs.  We
have a number of users that use Showcase queries.  They don't appear to
lock the files.  Should those be addressed?  I doubt that we've got anybody
using FPT or Telnet but should I end TCP/IP just to be safe?

I'm also concerned about the SAVACTWAIT parameter.  I want to avoid objects
being skipped.  Given that it has a 2 minute wait time per object if they
are in use this could add up if I happen to miss a couple of things.  In
case it matters we are at V5R1.  I was planning on using the *SYNCLIB
option.  I've read through the archives but didn't see these things
addressed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company