From: Mark S. Waterbury [mailto:mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 10:57 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Limiting (but not stopping) interactive query by user

Hi, Jim:

All query processing in OS/400 eventually invokes a query "engine",
the API *PGM in QSYS named QQQQRY. This is true for SQL,
whether running interactive SQL (STRSQL) or running a compiled
program that uses "embedded" SQL, and for Query Manager/400
queries, and Query/400 *QRYDFNs (RUNQRY), and when using
the OPNQRYF command in CL programs. Most third-party ISV
query tools (like ASC's SEQUEL) also invoke QQQQRY, either
directly, or indirectly (e.g. by using SQL/400 or QM/400, etc.).

QQQQRY is documented under OS/400 Programming, APIs in
the InfoCenter and in the API manuals.

Prompt the CHGQRYA command and press F1=Help, then press
F2=Extended Help to see help text for the entire command. This
text describes affecting the "query optimizer" and other "stuff" that
is all "below" (or "inside") the QQQQRY API.

So, as far as I can tell, values I set using CHGQRYA will apply
to ALL "queries".

Does that help?

Mark S. Waterbury