Dennis,

That's funny. I just did that a week or two ago and I was thinking exactly
the opposite. I remembered the PTF installation instructions being more
explicit for a period of time (that the PTF groups went on first) and I
thought my most recent batch was more vague about it.

I don't think it is really that critical that it be done in that sequence,
unless perhaps one of the hipers corrected something that would otherwise
cause you a problem during the install of the cume. Thus, putting the hipers
on first would reduce the risk of some other failure during the cume.

I do always wonder about the process though. Because both the PTF groups and
the cume offer us the opportunity to apply other PTF packages in the middle
of their process, I have often wondered why I couldn't do them all in one
shot (apply cume with IPL=N, then apply group, group, group all with IPL=N
until the last group, which finally gets IPL=Y).

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:08:15 -0600
from: Dennis Munro <DMunro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: PTF's

V5R2M0

Putting on latest cume with the group ptf's & the instructions specifically
state that the group ptf's go on first followed by an IPL & then the cume
goes on.  I don't remember the instructions being that explicit before or
did I just not see them?  I will have to say that in all the years I've done
ptf's, I don't think I have ever done this process in that sequence.  I
would hate to think I've been doing it wrong all these years but I guess
anything is possible?

Thanks - Dennis.

Dennis Munro