Yes Mike, you can do this.

Here are most of the pieces:

User signs on and job is assigned to a subsystem.

User profile references a job description which contains a compare value.

The subsystem description contains routing entries which contain compare
data.

The compare value in the job description is compared to the data in the
subsystem routing entries until a match is found or the default is assigned.

The routing entry refers to an OS/400 class object.

The class object specifies the timeslice and run priority for the job.

So if you want to accomplish this task using standard OS/400 work
management, you would first create some classes which reflect the priorities
you wish to assign.  Then you would add additional routing entries to your
subsystem description with appropriate compare data and references to your
new classes.  Create additional job descriptions which have the appropriate
compare values to reference the routing entries.  Then update the user
profiles to reference the appropriate job descriptions.

The above is one of the classic work management approaches to assigning
different priorities to different interactive jobs.  You could also create
different subsystems and route your jobs to those subsystems based upon user
profile.  You would still need different classes, but you could simplify the
job description assignment problem this way.

Then there's the two-by-four approach of just issuing a CHGJOB command in
the users signon script.  It's crude but effective (and it makes purists
wince).

In the long run, your best solution may be to spend money on hardware.  But
assigning different priorities can smooth the waters until you get to that
point.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse