And I'm never going to change your opinion when you insist I limit my
terminology exactly.  I've got better things to do than to search the
hundreds of PTF cover letters that I mentioned to see if any of them use
that exact terminology.

Reliability does exceed.  Although Windows is not as bad as it used to be.
 However the original discussion went on about how often Windows emits
service packs to fix various leaks and whether or not that was a bad
thing.  And I was just pointing out that OS/400 does too.

Benjamin Franklin

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
11/09/2003 09:43 PM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: how we will program in the future

> From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Folks, don't get me wrong.  I am a strong iSeries bigot.  But don't
spout
> off something that can be countered so easily.  Think of it this way,
it's
> better I counter you now, then when you are in the middle of a sales
> presentation.

Please point to one cover letter that identifies an exploit where "a
malicious website can gain access to your computer and execute
commands."  There is no comparison between the operating systems as far
as security, regardless of numeric comparisons.  At some point, you
might want to factor in the lines of code in OS/400 as compared to
Windows to actually get a decent handle on the defect rate.

As to stability, I have never had to reload my system from scratch, nor
have any of my clients.  It does happen, but far more rarely than in the
Windows world, where a scratch reload is often the only way to get a
machine working again.  I have blown my linkloader, reslipped the LIC,
and been up and running inside a couple of hours with no data loss and
no restore from backup.  That's not going to happen when a Windows
machine goes casters up.

I worked with the first Silverlake machine ever shipped to Chicago, and
it was more stable than any Windows release I've ever worked with.  With
Windows, stuff just stops working with no messages, no error
indications, no logs.  Bizarre things, like icons changing for no
apparent reason, or Word not showing images properly.  Right now one of
two identically installed machines takes ten times as long to access my
IFS as the other.  And there's no way to determine why.  At least if
something goes gonzo on my iSeries, I can determine the problem and
correct it.

There's simply no comparing the systems.  OS/400 is a business system
designed from the ground up for secure, stable, multi-user operation,
while Windows is a single-user multitasking desktop with its best bits
ripped off from OS/2 and then dumbed down.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Joe