Stangely enough, there are no Java modules of any kind
installed. (This could be the problem)

But, I don't recall EVER seeing Java modules on ANY
Windows box I have worked on. Is that normal or are
all of my customers WAY out of step ??

Tom Liotta wrote:
Pat:

Sorry, I see it that way far too often nowadays.

JRE = Java Runtime Environment
SE = Standard Edition

Since it's now Java 2, it's more accurate to say J2SE to distinguish from J2EE (Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition) and J2ME (Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition).

Go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs to see how many and which JREs you currently have. It seems to me that the v1.4.1_02 level provided some functionality that's enabled a number web sites in Netscape.

Visit < http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html > or < http://java.sun.com/j2se > for download and install. I see it's advanced to v1.4.2_02 since the last time I looked, so maybe even more stuff will work or previous will work better. I tend to look only when I run into problems.

Some similar kinds of functionality get added to IE at times through the Windows Update facility. But it's unlikely Microsoft will allow competing vendors the same privilege. If you want a recent JRE, it's a more manual process.

Having a recent JRE _can_ improve numerous Java applications, perhaps even OpsNav (to hang on to topic).

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

3. Re: IBM Sales Manual (Pat Barber)

I have to plead stupid here but what is that and
where do I get it and how does it work with Netscape 7.1 ???
(I thought I had seen every acronym known to man)

I assume it's got somthing to do with Java ???

I think your comments are very appropriate. IBM seems to lose
touch with the rest of the world about every 90 days. The 90
days is about the career length within IBM at the moment.

Tom Liotta wrote:

Pat:

Best suggestion I've seen so far has been to make sure you have at
least JRE SE v1.4.1_02.