Granted, ap's do sell machines, but the iSeries can compete in that
commodity market.

Our BP says he's amazed at the shops he's walked into that are running an
iSeries, just to serve their Domino ap's.

And you should have seen the video of how hard they marketed the iSeries
at LotusWorld a few years back.

And you should have seen the look of awe on my teenagers face:  "Wow, you
work with Notes?!"  Granted she's dating an open source geek now who
migrated their company from Notes.  I just smirk when I hear all the
problems he's having with email and I can tell him which Notes R6 option
turns that problem off.  But services pay and his family all drive brand
new cars like Cadillac Escalades, Oldsmobile Aleros and his favorite, the
VW bug.  And me with my 1987 Oldsmobile with 160,000+miles  :-(

Benjamin Franklin

Hans Boldt <boldt@xxxxxxxxxx>
11/05/2003 03:12 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BRING NEW CUSTOMERS TO THE ISERIES

Booth Martin wrote:

> I am not convinced we disagree.

I agree. I'm sure we agree more than we disagree. The fact that I really
enjoy playing "devil's advocate" probably confuses people too! ;-)

> The survey reflects what people believe, not what they do. The point is
> about what consumers do.  Does anyone else have trouble getting teens
into
> Wal-Mart brands?

Well, for me, I'll experience that first-hand in about 12 years. In the
meantime, I'll just have to try to teach my daughter about the motives
of advertisers and about value for the money. I can certainly try to
lead by example - practically everything I'm wearing now, shirt, pants,
socks, etc., is a store brand product, not a name brand. ;-)

> The facts of life are that advertising pays.  Otherwise soap and tobacco
> companies would never waste billions on advertising.

And for these classes of products you mention, nothing distinguishes
between them otherwise. ;-)

> I would agree that IBM, Sun, Oracle, Cisco, and Novell won't gain much
from
> prime-time TV advertising, but there's a lot of other kinds of
advertising.

> I know lots of people will grit their teeth at this but Dr. Frank Soltis
is
> a Personality.   If IBM's PR people would play him up it'd have huge
impact.
>  Hell, isn't he the one that has the on-board computers in his cars and
> trucks modified to his own specs?  Is his garage really bigger than his
> house?  Did he really get his tail feathers trimmed with his comments on
the
> iSeries that MS owns?  This guy turns the staid iSeries into a personal
> adventure.

Dr Frank mods the chips in his cars and trucks? Now *that's* a geek!

But then you're still preaching to the choir. Dr Frank is well known
within this community, but not to the outside. I agree that there could
be some truly great ads featuring iSeries personalities like him. But
would such a campaign really play well to the target customer set? That
is, those buyers who are looking for applications, not a flashy image.
Image sells commodity items, like soap and breakfast cereal and Unix
servers. But I'd like to think the buyers of iSeries machines and
applications are a bit more discerning.

Cheers! Hans