What ever happened to Tom Peters? Remember him? The guru of quality? His
position was that top quaility would win out. Empirical evidence would prove
him to be sadly wrong whether one looks at Wal-Mart or Microsoft.

In any event my point is that companies are learning that quality is of no
consequence. With software the rule has become "Get it out there. If it
catches on then you can fix it." Given that, how can we sell the iSeries
with application packages? The iSeries is for those that want control of
their own applications and don't like being held hostage to the moving
targets of Microsoft, Oracle, and Sun.

The iSeries is a niche machine. Keep it a niche machine and go after the
niche market that can afford and appreciate the qualities of the platform.
Talk up the control issue ("move at your speed, not theirs". "upgrade on
your timetable, not theirs", "who's problems are your tech people working on
today, yours or Microsoft's?", "Tired of soaring user license and unneeded
upgrade fees?"

Booth Martin http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx