Thanks Vern

Bill Hopkins

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/22/2003 12:32 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

        To:     Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Connecting to a database that is on Microsoft SQL
Server

Hi, Bill

If the SQL Server can export the file into an ASCII fixed length or
delimited form on itself, then the iSeries could read that through /QNTC.
Of course, the size makes that prohibitive, too. You'd use CPYFRMIMPF, not

CPYFRMPCD, which has to be in QDLS, and has to be in 8.3 naming, as well
as
being relatively slow.

Or, instead of copying into a PF, RPG (ILE at least) can directly read the

IFS file and work with the data - it involves IFS APIs - see the API
manuals. There are folks on this list with examples, I believe.

/QNTC lets you mount directly to NT/2000 file shares - very cool because
it
takes no space on the iSeries, and no need to map anything on the SQL
Server box.

HTH

Vern

At 12:13 PM 10/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I did not know. But thought he could put file in the IFS with a mapped
>drive then CPYFRMPCD to PF then read with RPG. It would not be direct
link
>and the copy would
>probably take awhile with number of records.
>I go the other way process reads JDE and PKMS info and builds PF files
>then CPYTOIMPF each to QOpenSys/Dir/file. After that is done I run Remote
>command to run scripted DTS to build into SQL Server database.
>
>This was all new to me, still learning.
>
>Bill Hopkins
>
>Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>10/22/2003 11:54 AM
>Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
>
>         To:     Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
> <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Connecting to a database that is on
Microsoft
> SQL Server
>
>Internal structure of SQL Server is not known to iSeries DB manager.
Needs

>some kind of SQL translator, like ODBC or JDBC or DRDA. You can "map" to
>files on an SQL Server box, using the /QNTC file system, but they will
not

>be usable. M$ never saw fit to write a DRDA provider (analogous to IBM
>writing an ODBC driver for DB2) for SQL Server - too bad.
>
>Anyway, there's probably never going to be a way to use it with RPG,
>except
>with embedded SQL - if there were a DRDA provider, which there is not.
>Left
>with Java or that other IBM product.
>
>HTH
>
>Vern
>
>At 11:00 AM 10/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >I go the other way, with a mapped drive on PC side.  Drive is mapped to
> >DIR QOpenSys/DIR Name/File on iSeries. SQL Server points there on DTS.
> >Have tried other way but don't see why it would not work.
> >
> >Bill Hopkins
> >
> >Rich_Weislak@xxxxxxxxx
> >Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >10/22/2003 10:33 AM
> >Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
> >
> >         To:     midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >         cc:
> >         Subject:        Connecting to a database that is on Microsoft
>SQL
> > Server
> >
> >All:
> >
> >    Is there a way from the 400 side to either make a link to a
Microsoft