I used to use that ECS modem.  However with all the push for PPP it's a
crap shoot to get that thing to work.  Frankly ppp over the same stinking
dial up modem buys me nothing.  Now I do all of my PTF checking via the
Internet.

The only thing I use the ECS modem for is IBM to dial in and sign on to my
machine.

Benjamin Franklin

pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx
10/09/2003 10:44 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: PTF Management

<On soap-box>

This might start a political discussion here, but my Dad was just the
opposite. He said "If it ain't broke, keep it that way."

Back in the early 50's, my Dad was an mechanic for a construction company
on a job site not far from you Rob. He noticed a couple of instances where

during an oil change on a bulldozer, the used oil looked and smelled funny

to him. At the time, the company was buying oil from the cheapest source.
He had recently met with a sales rep from D-A oil company in Indianapolis.

The rep told him that D-A's chemists had devised a method for testing used

oil for all kinds of contaminants, including antifreeze and metal
shavings. They discovered that the dozer in question had a minute crack in

the block, and was allowing coolant to get into the crankcase.

My Dad immediately began a program whereby the entire company purchased
all of their lubricants from D-A, and began sampling from each and every
oil change. D-A was higher priced, but they included the sampling cans and

return labels with each shipment. The company also religiously followed
the manufacturer's recommendations on maintenance, even to the point where

the manufacturers shortened the maintenance intervals based on my Dad's
findings. The next thing you know, the company bought their first computer

from IBM in 1960, for the express purpose of equipment maintenance
scheduling (the accounting department got to use it during the off-hours).

By knowing what their equipment was costing them, his company grew by a
factor of 7 in just the next 10 years. My Dad ended up starting a software

company that produced maintenance management software for the midrange
marketplace. Many of you may still be using that software.

The point is that there are good business reasons for having a
preventative maintenance program on everything within the enterprise, and
the computer systems need to be included in the program. It's the little
things, too. How many people bother to take out a vacuum cleaner and
provide their systems with a little housecleaning? If you've still got an
ECS modem, how tough is it to have the job scheduler send a weekly order
for the cover letter for the weekly HIPER list? The fine folks in
Rochester and Toronto need to know that they're appreciated enough to have

somebody at least read what they publish....  8-))

<Off soap box>

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.
708-670-6978  Cell
pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Samuel L. Clemens  (Mark Twain)

rob@xxxxxxxxx
10/09/2003 09:54 AM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion