Hey Rich

According to the article, there are ten types of filesystems that the AS/400 supports. One is NFS. An AS/400 can act as an NFS client. "This means that [an AS/400] can mount NFS shares in the NFS and read and write them as if they were locally stored". Using this kind of file system, one could presumably share files with a remote unix machine.

It's to a remote AS/400... Having said this, NFS never seems to get the nod anywhere I've worked :)

The other interesting one is QFileSvr.400 which "provides transparent access to file systems that are present on remote iSeries". Using this kind of file system, one could presumably share files with a remote iSeries machine.

So, CPY OBJ('/qsys.lib/qgpl.lib/mysavefile.savf') TODIR('QFileSvr.400/TheOtherSystem/Somewhere') /* I think! */

I have done something similar to this as part of a small test project and it sure transfers the data easily enough... we would be talking a reasonable amount of data though 300 or so gig. Maybe using SAVCHGOBJ would cut this down, but then we have one save file per library... it gets mighty complex mighty quick.

I also wonder if one could:
SAV DEV('/qsys.lib/tap01.dev') OBJ( ('/QFileSvr.400/SomeOtherMachine/SomeOtherDir/*')) /* Maybe... */

I've wondered about this too. I suspect it would fall apart on time outs or just take forever :)

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to try out either file system, so I can't tell you more than that. I'm sure the experts on this list can say for sure.

Thanks anyway

Regards
Evan Harris