Peter,

If you are using non-routable addresses, ie in the range of 192.168.x.x or
10.x.x.x you may not be able to set up the VPN in the manner that you are
attempting.  At least one of the endpoints will need a routable internet
address.  The other client should then be able to initiate the connection
if all other intermediary devices are configured correctly to allow the
traffic.

Here's a quick example:

PC with non-routable IP address like 192.168.0.50
Router with valid routable IP address
Router with valid routable IP address
Server with non-routable IP address like 192.168.10.25

The routers on your network perimeter and on the internet will not be able
to handle traffic directly from or to the non-routable addresses, they will
use NAT to communicate.  The problem then becomes, how does the router on
the destination end determine which machine receives incoming traffic?  You
need address redirection, usually only provided on firewalls and higher end
routers.

Hope that makes some sense and possibly helps,

Keith Blazek
Information Systems Coordinator
PH: 305-623-8700 ext 308

             "Peter Dow"
             <maillist@dowsoft
             ware.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion"
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             09/29/2003 10:26                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: Netgear FVS318 VPN connection

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Hi Vern,

What you say makes sense, except that as I noted, my W2K PC does not have
an
internet IP address, only an internal LAN address.  Given that the source &
destination IP addresses also are internal LAN addresses, how does it ever
get to the LinkSys?  If you're correct, then if I change the tunnel
endpoint
to be my W2K PC's internal (private) LAN IP address, I'd have to change the
source & destination IP addresses to the LinkSys's external (public)
internet IP address, right?

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050 voice