>> I've been running the Windows version for a couple
>> of  years now.  http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/
>
> I'm a little confused...  I'm always on the lookout for a decent 5250
> client (CA is such a pig), and went to sourceforge to check it out, the
> download page for the WIN32 setup version appeared to require linux to
run.

> am I missing something?  does the windows version run on XP?

I'm not sure where you're looking...From the link above, click on the 'Win32
installer from our files area' link.  That takes you to a list of various
pre-made binary executables.  The one you want is the one labelled
tn5250-0.16.4-setup.exe  Download that onto your PC and run it.

There are piles and piles of notes referring to various *nix-ish things.
Don't fret - that's because there are many *nix developers and they are
making the majority of the changes.  The way it works (oh, I hope I get this
right) is that there is a separate rendering library for each flavour of the
UI; one for Windows, one for curses, one for slang, etc.  You can see them
if you browse the source tree at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tn5250/tn5250/ - look at the src
directory.

Anyway, the point is that the OS-specific stuff is in OS-specific modules,
and those of us using the Windows version don't need to worry too much about
the others.  The source is smart enough to compile itself (via the magic of
the MAKE file) using the right OS 'library' for the OS you are running.  I
actually made a small change to the source and compiled it on my own PC with
no problems (hey, icky code that works doesn't count as a problem!)  That's
saying something, considering I am not a PC guy in the least.

So, download the Windows installer and give it a whirl.  I don't have XP
here, but it runs just fine on 95, 98, 98SE and 2K.  I have no reason to
think XP will be an issue.

By the bye, the folks on the mailing list were very kind in critiquing my
paltry efforts, and genuinely look forward to contributions, even as small
as my keyboard fiddling.  If you don't like the way something works, change
it!  Very cool concept for an old timer like me.
  --buck