I thought about commenting on this yesterday.  I've worked in 3 large shops,
including a division of a Fortune-30 company that ran their biz on 12
AS/400s (this was back in mid- to late-90's).  I don't have exact counts,
but have seen easily more than a thousand interactive jobs running with none
of the squirrelly problems you reported.

Although it sure /could/ be if you have a large number of interactive users,
AND a complex environment AND there are other issues (AND somebody happens
to look at a screen with one eye closed AND depending on POM...;-) you could
have performance problems and strange messages like you got.