> Is there any way of retrieving / displaying the certificate chain during a
> SSL session?
> Something equivalent of the information shown in the 'padlock' of IE during
> a session.

If this is for a program you're writing with the GSKit API, you can use
gsk_attribute_get_cert_info() to get certificate info.

If this is for a program you're writing with the SSL_xxx APIs, there's a
pointer to the certificate in the SSLHandle structure.   Unlike the GSKit
API, it does not parse it for you, you'll have to write your own routines.

> Normally we only have the top level CA cert on the box, but I would like to
> see the other serts used during a secured comms session.

If you're just doing this once for testing, you might consider using the
openssl tool from the OpenSSL project  (http://www.openssl.org)  it comes
standard on most BSD/Linux distros...   I have a copy compiled to run on
Windows as well, contact me off-list if you're interested in getting a
copy of that...