>Booth wrote:
> Will the auditors approve such a program? That would seem like a work
around
> that might be viewed as sabotage and cause you personal grief.
> "go major" or "sltcmd" would seem like the only way to meet their
> requirements.

Booth,

I appreciate your concern.

In any IT department, you have to have a balance between security on the
system and trust in your employees and contractors.  In every shop where I
have worked as either an employee or a consultant, there is always at least
one person that you have to trust to debug programs in a production
environment.

I am creating this program this with management's approval. They know that
there are many times that we need to debug programs that are running in the
user testing or production environments that are locked down for command
entry.

The solution that I have designed will be auditable for use in a production
environment.  It will be secured by JDE menu masking so that only certain
users (mainly developers) will be able to even see it, and this menu option
will normally be locked down for all users.  This program will only be made
available to a developer for use in debugging a specific program problem,
then his authority will be removed when he is finished debugging the
program.

I just about have my solution built, and there is only one thing I don't
like about it.  As Buck suggested (and from my limited testing), the only
way you can prompt a command using a request-message handling program is to
put a ? in front of the command.  F4 won't prompt from this screen.

My program calls QCMDCHK, which will prompt the command if a ? is in front
of it.  It then passes back the full command string, which I then pass to
QCMDEXC to execute.  If it fails, you get blown out and an error message is
displayed on the bottom line of the JDE menu, showing the error that
occurred.

For audit purposes, I send a copy of the command string (with the JDE data
library prepended to it) to a journal using SNDJRNE.  This will be an audit
trail of the commands that were executed via this program, in order to
satisfy the auditors.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935