Mark,

The similarity of the iSeries and the MAC has been a long-time issue with me ... if Apple had put 5250/3270 emulation and a token ring LAN port in the early MAC's, Bill Gates would still be successful, but not the richest guy on the planet. Apple's "corporate culture" wouldn't permit it ... and eventually needed a $250,000,000 bailout from Microsoft to survive. The MAC could have been what WinTel is on the desktop!

If IBM hadn't harvested the AS/400 product line ... and USED THE CASH THAT IT THREW OFF to grow the Unix and Windows server businesses FOR MARKETING THE AS/400, the iSERIES would still be a star ... rather than the fallen star that it is today ...

My company sells a specific software package that is the only one of its kind sold in the USA ... period. Our customers' alternative is to invest A LOT OF MONEY to write their own. On about 50% of our sales calls, our customers give us a "hard stop" in the sales cycle ... and things stop dead in their tracks ... this moment comes when they learn that it runs on an IBM iSeries processor ... ONLY. They don't care about the quality of the hardware or the value that our software adds to the business ... they are allergic to the iSeries platform PERIOD!

I teach an AS/400 curriculum in a local community college ... few, if any, of my students know what an AS/400 or iSeries eServer is ... as you can guess, getting sufficient enrollment to justify a class is a BIG problem.

While I have been one of the biggest bigots around in favor of the AS/400, I can't afford this. All new software that we create will run on multiple platforms ... perhaps also under OS/400 if there is demand.

John