> > from: "Buck"
> > Some customers utterly refuse to put any part of their iSeries
> > on the web, and insist on a PC to do their web serving.
>
> This was discussed recently in another thread.  With or without the PC in
> the middle, requests are routed from the Internet to the iSeries.  Having
> PC in the middle probably just adds a less reliable, more vulnerable
> interface - representing a weak link in the chain.

I couldn't agree more.  But I am in no position to argue with a customer's
CIO (or equivalent.)

> > Both of these applications are light work on the HTTP/servlet
> > engine side.  All of the real work happens on the iSeries.
>
> Are you sure about light servlet workload?  In my experience, servlets
> usually consume significant CPU time.  Especially in comparison to ILE
> alternatives.  HTTP workload is usually light, however.  The communication
> interface between the Java components and the RPG components may be the
> bottleneck.

Yes.  The servlets themselves are very lightweight, performing nothing but
formatting and API calls.

-snip some interesting statistics-

> What caused the jump from 62 ms to 6350 ms?  I concluded that at that
> moment, my wife had just clicked the <save> button on a small Word
document.
> I think this underscores Windows multitasking capability.

Again, we agree completely.  The point isn't about what is *technically*
best for the customer: it's about the unwillingness of some people to change
their habits no matter how much evidence you put in front of them.  It's
tragic, really.
  --buck