Joe Pluta wrote:
From: James Rich

No, Joe. Comparing os/400 and unix/linux/*bsd is comparing a

multi-user

multi-purpose server box to another multi-user multi-purpose server

box.

Both are machines that handle thousands of simutaneous users.

Not as the comparison was stated, James.  Not one of the people on this
list comparing a PC-based web application server is doing it using a
Unix server decked out to support thousands of users.  This is a red
herring argument, and I don't have the time to deal with it.

And no one was talking about multi-user performance of the iSeries, either. The discussion was focused on network performance. So comparing multi-user performance of one machine to network performance on another doesn't make sense. Thus to discuss that one machine is doing multi-user work requires that you also address the multi-user nature of the other, or eliminate its effects on both.

It is
an outright lie to say that unix-like machines don't "have to worry
anout silly things like security and interactive users".

The ones talked about in this context are not worrying about these
things.  I'm not lying and I resent the mischaracterization.  Please
take a moment to try to keep your comments in context.

Then I sincerely apologize. I must have misread your email. I honestly do not try to get into arguments with you, but we seem to have them anyway. I did not intend to call you a liar. How about I state things like this:

"In the context of web serving, no machine (neither unix-based, iSeries, or other) needs to concern itself with multi-user performance as that relates to concurrent users being logged into the machine"

I hope that is better.

James Rich