If you have IBM HARDWARE maintenance you're entitled to Service Director.
You should not be charged anything to call in and tell them you need a new
activation code as it's expiring.   If they send you an invoice for that
return it and tell them where to put it - and complain via the iNation
Citizen hotline.  Yes it dos more than check for PTF's - it will report
certain entries from the problem log, usually the most important of which
are notifications of impending disk failure.

...Neil

Bonnie_Lokenvitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2003/08/04 09:48
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Service Director will Expire - What does this mean?

We are running operator-less on a V4R5 9406-620 and the latest cumulative
PTFs.

We received the message SDM1005, ' Service Director will expire on
09/26/03.
Service Director is nearing its expiration date. Contact your local
IBM Service Representative at 1-800-IBMSERV.'

We are on hourly contract through November (and on our own after that).
A call to IBM service indicates a $240 dollar charge with a minimum of
a 2 hour charge to answer my question.

Does the service director do more than look for most current PTF's -
which at V4R5 there will be probable be none.

Or does it notify if we have a disk failure, etc.?
Is Service Director a licensed product?  Will other IBM products
begin 'expiring'?

Thanks much!
Bonnie Lokenvitz
Engineered Polymers Corporation