Tom,

Your hunch is certainly correct for how system passwords worked on the old
CISC hardware.   Years ago, I happened to acquired several spare 9404s and
found that some had the system password "grace period", while others did
not.

I found that the grace period evaporated once you let the control panel CMOS
clear (removed the battery for X hours) AND replaced the boot (IPL) drive
with a scratch (initialized) disk.

The "flag" you refer to was a combination of a control panel memory and data
stored on a "serial# matching" boot disk.  I figured it was the "last good
IPL" date.

The interesting thing I found was that while the system serial# was stored
in the control panel, if this memory was cleared, it would actually get the
serial# from the MFIOP card.  That's where the ROM version of the serial#
was stored,

System passwords were tied to a combo of serial# (MFIOP) and processor
serali# and password "version".

Keith