Oh, the horrors of IBM consulting and "strategic products".

Like the year we went over a quarter million over budget on some software
to roll out PC products from our iSeries.  IBM no longer sells the
product.  I cringe when my boss goes with a product because it's IBM, if
for no other reason.  Then I think of multiple products that IBM has
pulled.

I wonder if bundling software is a good idea?  If no new purchases are
made of the product then is the product dead?  But, what if several large
customers are still using the product?  The problem with that second
statement is "Are there any revenue dollars being generated by continuing
to support that product?".  OV/400 for example.  Did you pay extra for
software subscription for continuing to support OV/400?  If so, was the
money there to compensate for the expense of keeping it working on newer
versions of OS?  Will RPG be the next victim?  No one buys RPG anymore.
You buy Websphere Development Studio.  Even if you do pay extra for
software subscription for WDS, will IBM assume it is for some other Web
reason than RPG?

Benjamin Franklin

"Steve Landess" <steve_landess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
07/26/2003 02:08 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion