--- Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My only concern about this tool is that it's closed,
> like RPG-CGI or
> Net.data.  Learning this tool is not really giving
> you any added skills
> other than this tool, whereas if you learn JSP and
> servlets, you've added a
> broadly required skillset to your arsenal.  You're
> stuck using their editor
> to edit RPG, and you have to hope they keep up with
> the latest and greatest
> standards.

I thought about that and agree, that's why I mentioned
that I was planning on staying in the Java World. My
problem here is that I'm the Lone Range, with the
exception of 1 MS ASP & VB programmer,  with Java &
Java Web experience.

I am hoping to get some of the other programmers,
which are ex-COBOL mainframers, to the Web.  If it's
easy, they may do it.  They have no intention of
trying to learn anything new, but I was hoping that if
I could get them on the web using an iSeries solution
and a language they already know, then that could help
thwart the Microsoft invasion. (Oh, by the way, if &
when you start taking Java Classes, you will start to
become a little anti-Microsoft Ha!)

If you need to get to the web fast, before you have
time to learn Java, JSP, etc.  Then perhaps the RSP
(RPG Server Pages) could help you understand scripting
& web technology, while working with a language that
you understand. But I certainly wouldn't, for myself,
be interested in working with RSP,CGI, Net.data... as
my only learned web technology.

Don