From: McIntyre Don [mailto:dnmcin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 5:48 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: ODBC from IFS

Vern,

Yes, Datadirect has what I need, but I would have to
buy a driver for each database at about $8000 per
driver.  That's why in my earlier statement I said

> yet another purchase to enable the iSeries to do the
>job that can be done by a PC on our server farm

If it was $8000 for a driver that could do all ODBC
databases, then it wouldn't have been as noisy when I
relayed the price to our Director :)  Why pay 8K for
each database when we can write an ASP application on
IIS that will access the database for next to nothing.

My problem here, as are probably in a lot of iSeries /
AS400 shops, is that our Networking technical staff
(that are in charge of all non iSeries hardware &
networking) are PC advocates and feel that the AS400
is old and outdated technology that will be gone any
day now.

Our director knows better, but has the battle between
applications staff and our technical staff.

Thanks again,
Don McIntyre

--- Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>