> From: fergal.o'flynn
>
> October 8th is the date IBM have set for upgrading iSeries machines.
>
> I have seen very little mention of people going in the Standard edition
> direction ??
>
> I feel that I'm really missing something here and there is should be
> very easy to decide which iSeries to move to.

Fergal, PSC/400 will allow you to move to a standard edition machine with no
problem.  That's one of the benefits of the tool; you can immediately
convert your entire application to run in a browser in batch without
requiring any interactive CPW.  Applications converted via PSC/400 look and
feel almost exactly like your original green screen applications, including
function keys and roll keys.  Thus, there is no retraining required for your
end users.

Unlike pure emulators, however, PSC/400 also allows you to begin customizing
any applications that you want to appear more "weblike".  As I've shown in
other posts, PSC/400's use of JSP technology means you can add any level of
graphical capability that you need.  (And in the pictures below, please
remember - IANAWD - I am not a web designer <grin>).

(menu)
http://www.plutabrothers.com/images/ss0.gif
(simple work with panel, no graphics)
http://www.plutabrothers.com/images/ss1.gif
(rollovers and popups)
http://www.plutabrothers.com/images/ss2.gif
("storefront" look, banner graphic only)
http://www.plutabrothers.com/images/ss3.gif
(graphical look)
http://www.plutabrothers.com/images/ss4.gif

And the difference in price between standard and enterprise editions of the
box more than pays for the price of PSC/400.  So what do you end up with?

1. A cheaper box
2. Immediate web access to your applications with no retraining
3. An open UI standard (JSP and CSS)
4. Your applications are customizable using industry standard tools
5. No new skills or hardware required for your application programmers

All of this, and because of option one, you actually save money.  You said
that this should be an easy decision.  We agree.  And PSC/400 makes it even
easier.

Web access, customizable UI, no retraining, no new PCs, no new skills.  ROI
measured basically in the time it takes you to sign the hardware contract.
What's not to decide?

Joe Pluta
Pluta Brothers Design
Developers of PSC/400, The Fastest Path to the Web
http://www.plutabrothers.com/p1.html