George,

If you have a 270, then you have all of the software necessary to power
the system down prior to UPS failure.  The only missing component might
be a cable from your UPS to the AS/400.  Properly configured with a UPS
monitoring program and the appropriate system values, you will have a
program that executes at the appropriate time.  See the link below for
more details.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/rzahr/rzahrovrvwco
.htm

Once you have the program executing, you can send out an email message,
wait a few seconds, then power the machine down properly.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse