>From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>No, there's a third option, the concept of writing to a virtual machine
>layer.  If your operating system talks to a virtualized hardware layer
>rather than directly to the hardware, then all you need to rewrite is the
>VM.  This is the concept that has made Java so successful, and is the same
>thing that the AS/400 uses, as IBM itself says:

Yes and no (gee, what a shock, Joe and I don't agree <G>). What you say is
very true of application programs, and it's what allows my System 38 app to
run on the newest hardware running V5R2 w/o ever recompiling. However, keep
in mind we're talking about the OS here, not an application. I have no doubt
there are portions of V5R2 that would run on a B10 thanks to TIMI, but only
portions. You make a comparison of OS/400 to a Java application. I'd modify
that a little. OS/400 is a bizarre hybrid of a java application (which can
be ported) and the JVM itself (which can't).

As you well know, what makes Java portable isn't that it's this great and
wonderful language that somehow succeeded where Pascal, Cobol, C, C++, etc.
failed in cross-platform ideals. But rather Java's success is based on the
fact that Sun has kept the proprietary Java "standard" standard! They've
said "if you're going to call it Java it must look like this!" and lots of
people have implemented this JVM standard across lots of platforms.

If OS/400 is part app and part JVM you can't expect to pick it up and drop
it on another hardware platform any more than I can expect to pickup the
Solaris JVM and run it on zOS.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President