> yeah, and on top of this: linux is not a language or a compiler,
> you can't write something "in" linux, you can only write something
> "for" linux, i.e. to run under the linux O/S. Maybe he meant
> that SLIC will run "on top" of linux  :-).

Perhaps he meant that they're now using the Linux kernel, and all the
device drivers needed to be re-written as Linux kernel modules?   Since
doing that requires you to code it exactly according to Linux spec, I
could see why you might refer to that as "in Linux"

The idea of the "front-end" would also make sense in that context.   A
shell that looks and acts like OS/400's command-line interface, but is
actually just a shell for Linux.

I doubt that any of this is actually what happened.  (certainly not in
V5R2!!!) but it's possible that it's a direction that they're considering.

Purely conjecture on my part, of course.