> From: bdietz@xxxxxx
>
> Rob this got me thinking if I could get a 5250(real) upand running in the
> VNC session.  I got the VNC part all setup and tried to find an
> AIX TN5250.
> I was able to get a X3270(AIX version) as that was the only X anything I
> could find.  I tried to compile the LINUX TN5250 with AIX's C++
> under PASE,
> but I could not get the MAKE to work.   So I turned my attention to a JAVA
> solution and downloaded a JAVA 5250 from mochasoft.dk.
> I had to set my DISPLAY environment variable to the session nave that VNC
> gave...DEMO400.3x.com:1  and started the java 5250 client thru QSH.  WOW!
> it works.
>
> Screen Shot --->  http://216.111.170.54/VNC-Screen.jpg

Very cool, Bryan! And there are quite a few other vendors out there with
similar types of thin client solutions.  In fact, I just got down recording
a webcast about web enabling for iSeries Network (which will be airing
RealSoonNow), and one section of my presentation discuss thin-client as a
viable option for certain configuration.  Especially since there are
thin-client servers that will support clients on just about any desktop
variant, from *nix to Mac.  If all you want is green screen and you don't
have a decent 5250 emulation for a given platform, then thin client is one
way to get around that requirement.

Joe