Dan,

I think that JT is correct when he said ...

My recollection is that I/O count refers to DB operations, and you'd hafta
get down to looking at Performance Tool measures on synchronous and
asynchonous I/O to get at physical I/O.  (Syncronous being the only one that
counts for the bottlenecks.)  There should be a fair correspondence between
the DB I/O and physical I/O.

I'm pretty sure that the IO Count there reflects requests and not actual, physical DB operations.

I don't have the time today to look these things up ... sorry ... I guess that means that I must give up my claim for lunch!

John

At 11:48 AM 4/24/2003, you wrote:
--- John Myers - MM <jmyersmm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, don't confuse RPG record blocking with OS/400 record blocking!
>
> The AS/400 CAN do "blocking" on updates ... it just does it behind the
> scenes at the OS/400 level.
>
> See CRTPF, CRTLF, CHGPF, or OVRDBF parameter FRCRATIO whose help text reads:
<SNIP>

John, I added FRCRATIO(40) to the override as presented in my reply to Doug, with the same
results. My basis for determining that there is no blocking going on is that, from WRKJOB's
Display Open Files screen, the I/O Count is always double (or one off) that of the Relative Record
number displayed. It is my understanding that this is a true reflection of what OS/400 is doing
"behind the scenes". Agreed?

Reading the help for FRCRATIO, it is *very* interesting that it refers to maximum number of
records to be *updated* before they are forced into aux stg. The implication seems to state that
update file record blocking can occur, but I have yet to prove it in practice.

Comments welcomed.

- Dan