One major difference between CLRPFM and a regular-old-file-update is that
CLRPFM requires *OBJMGT authority, whereas updating a file requires *OPR +
*READ* + the appropriate data update rights (*ADD, *UPD, *DLT).

Based on your example below, I cannot say why this program is successful.
Is it possible that the authority to update the file comes from some
previous adoption (or from ownership or *ALLOBJ authority possessed by the
calling user)?  If you turned on the *ADOPT value in the QAUDLVL system
value, it could assist in determining where the authority to update the file
is coming from.

jte

(*Strictly speaking, updating a file does not technically require *READ
authority, but as a practical matter it usually does).

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group