Depending on what version of OS/400 you are on.

Benjamin Franklin

"Walden H. Leverich III" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
03/28/2003 01:58 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

        To:     "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        RE: While we're on the subject, a more complicated
SQL question.

Rick,

Ideally you'd do it with a join, but last I knew you can't have a join on
an
update (but I haven't checked in a while) However, you can do it with
subselects, I haven't checked this, but if memory serves you're very
close.
Try:

Update File1
                 set code = (select newcode
                                                 from file2
                                                 where vend1 = vend2)

There is no need to use file1 in the subquery. The values from the outer
query are available in the inner query. Basically, the inner query runs
once
for each row in the outer query.

The only thing I'd want to double check is what happens if there is no hit
in the inner query, does that set 'code' to null or skip the row
completly?

You may have to do a COALESCE to account for the null and I don't know if
COALESCE can take a subquery as a parm. If it does, great, if not you need
to add a where clause to the outer query selecting rows WHERE vend1 IN
(SELECT distinct vend2 from file2)

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President