> What problems can I expect from the UTC not properly set for my system?

None!

Allow me to quote my own website:
"My note: As stated above the use of QUTCOFFSET is more or less optional, so
you might find that this system value is not set. As long as you set it to the
intended value however you can use it for 'customer applications', which is
exactly what the command ADJDST does."

Yes, the PST (Pacific Standard Time) should have QUTCOFFSET set to '-0800'
while PDT (Pacific Daylight Saving Time) should be '-0700'.
But then again - if you have lived happily with value '+0000' then you'll
probably be able to continue to do so. Only a few applications actually uses
this (ADJDST is one, but also some IBM functions that works in network covering
more time zones will do so).

More theoretical: If something happens on Oct 26 2003 at 01:30, when DID it
actually happens? 1.5 hours after midnight or 2.5 hours? If you KNEW the
QUTCOFFSET at the time it happend, then you would be able to tell. More
practical: You'll probably not know and maybe your QUTCOFFSET is not set at
all. So QUTCOFFSET is not as big a deal as QTIME/QHOUR

Regards

Henrik Krebs
http://hkrebs.dk