Comments inline...

> Cyndi Bradberry wrote:
> Subject: RE: ASNA Visual RPG
> David, I don't know about the .net stuff. I am waiting for a vendor
supplied
> package written in ASNA Visual RPG. I have not used ASNA's Visual RPG. We
> evaluated it several years ago and decided against it for the following
reason.
> 1. There is a portion that runs on the AS/400

For standalone development on Windows, AVR has a built-in database
(Acceler8DB) than runs on your development PC.
If you need to perform database access against iSeries files, then you must
buy a license for DataGate/400, which installs into a library on the
iSeries.  This product is licensed either by number of users or you can
purchase an unlimited license.

> 2. There is a portion that runs on a WINTEL server (NT or above, not sure
> about compatability with other programs running on the server)

You're off base here.  ASNA also has a component called DataGate for SQL
Server, which is separately licensed, that allows you to perform
iSeries-like file operation codes like SETLL, READ, READE, and CHAIN against
a SQL Server 2000 database. This product is also licensed either by number
of users or you can purchase an unlimited license.

> 3. There is a client portion.

The Run-time client portion is free and can be downloaded from the ASNA
website.  Software developers can freely distribute the necessary DLL's to
their customers along with their AVR-developed applications.

> 4. Licensing for each client seat.

For DATABASE only.  You must pay a license fee either per-user or you can
purchase unlimited licenses for the database portion.  This includes
Acceler8DB, DataGate/400, and DataGate for SQL Server.  If you are using all
three databases in your application, I believe that you'll need to buy
licenses separately for each one for each user (or unlimited, depending on
the number of users).

If you are using AVR to develop applications that use ODBC or ADO for
database access, then there are no database licensing fees necessary.

> At the time there was a per developer charge for IBM VRPG, but there were
no
> run time licenses and no intermediary servers. It was just the client and
> the AS/400. We have developed a few applications that use VRPG and are
> looking into converting a massive home grown system to it.

You must purchase a copy of ASNA Visual RPG for each developer that will be
using it.  Included with each copy of AVR, you get a 1-user license for
Acceler8DB, DataGate/400, and DataGate for SQL Server.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935