On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 Steven.Gray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am having problems trying to ping an IP address.
> Although I can ping the IP address from windows and my RS boxes using the
> same route.

Are you sure the route is set up the same in the AS400 as it is in the
Windows and RS boxes?

Could there be a firewall which is allowing some IPs to do the ping, and
some not to?

> The AS400 is connected to a default gateway which has a connection to the IP
> address that I am trying to reach. When I perform a TRACERT from DOS this
> shows the route going through the default gateway to my destination.

And, if you do a NETSTAT *RTE, does it show a *DFTROUTE going to your
default gateway?   Are there other routes before that which could be
interfering?

> I have contacted the SA at the remote site and he can ping my AS400 from his
> box.

That makes it sound more like a firewall issue.   Or maybe you have two
machines with the same IP address?

> I have defined a route in the Host table and there seems to be no
> conflicting addresses for the AS400 to get confused over.

Routes are not defined in the host table!!   The host table is the same
as /etc/hosts on Unix or the "hosts" file (the location of which varies)
on Windows machines.   It has nothing to do with routes.

If you're trying to ping by IP address, then the host table is not
involved in the equasion AT ALL.

> As I am on OS V4.5 there is no AS400 trace facility , but I have downloaded
> TRACEROUTE to find out what is happening.
> This shows all other IP destinations going through the default gateway.
> When I try the problem route , I don't even get as far as the default
> gateway !!!

That sounds, again, like either a firewall configuration or a bad/missing
route.   Take a look at NETSTAT *RTE

> The ARP table is, according to OPS Navigator , refreshed every 15 minutes.

I assume you waited 15 minutes and tried it again?   Do you think the
problem is with ARP?   It didn't sound to me like the two machines were
on the same LAN.   If you can ping your default gateway, then this isn't
an ARP problem.