Jon, the Application Display Programming manual has a major section on UIM, good examples in QUSRTOOL that correspond to the chapters in this book. We use UIM for help text, which is probably the simplest part. Regular panel groups have bunches of variables that get displayed in a certain area of the screen. The process would involve generating a source member, based on the XML, then CRTPNLGRP. It's not really dynamic in the utilization - would be slow is it had to be dynamic. Now, once the panel group is created, I think the contents (data) can be dynamic. APIs are used to populate the variables and variable groups (whatever they're called).

NEWS/400 has had a series of articles on this in the past.

Why didn't IBM ever have a UDA?

Vern

At 12:36 PM 2/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
 >> Jon, another thought - doesn't XML use tags of some sort, it'd be
interesting to see if there's a close enough mapping to UIM tags. Then the
5250 data stream is taken care of - layout is automatic and consistent, to
some degree.

Now that could be interesting Vern.  They are both rooted in GML and a
transform should be possible - hmmmmmm - if only I knew more UIM - where's
Simon when I need him.

Jon Paris
Partner400