There is an apar on this at v4r4, but you did not say if it was partitioned

APAR#:  MA21397
Component:  9400DG300 - VLIC/SLIC
Release(s): R440

Abstract
LIC-UNPRED LPAR CONFIGURATION CAUSES MES FAILURE

Error Description
New interactive feature cards installed on a system with
Logical Partitioning (LPAR) enabled may not function.  An
A600 1730 reference code may appear.

Problem Summary
* PROBLEM: (MA21397) Licensed Program = 5769999              *
*          Crash/Hang Requiring an IPL to Recover            *
*          SRC A600 1730                                     *
*          Unnecessary, Incorrect, or Long Down Times for    *
*          System Repair                                     *
* USERS AFFECTED: All OS/400 Logical Partitioning (LPAR)     *
*                 users.                                     *
* RECOMMENDATION: Apply LIC PTF MF23787 for R440.            *
New or changed processor or main storage cards installed on
a system with Logical Partitioning (LPAR) enabled may not
function and an A600 1730 reference code may appear.  A
repair action or MES involving a processor card, processor/
interactive feature card, or main storage card may cause
this problem.

Problem Conclusion
The problem will be fixed for LPAR configurations.

Temporary Fix
                      *********
                      * HIPER *
                      *********