Jeff,

Not being in the US you have a chance at making this work. What you need is code for Short Message Peer to Peer (SMPP)
protocol and a carrier who has a Short Message Service Center (SMSC) gateway active. As I understand it though in Europe there is a pricing
process that makes the direct connection hard to come by as the carriers sell bulk to aggregators, who then sell to the end users in message units. This is
what I belive you are using today when you refer to an intermediary.

In the US we typically only have the old Dial-up TAP protocol available to access SMS facilities at the Cellular carriers and then only some of them, remember we are a generation or two behind the rest of the world because we built out so much earlier, and then stood still.

Look at www.smpp.org and http://opensmpp.logica.com/CommonPart/Introduction/Introduction.htm as starters on SMPP..... Google will find you many other references to SMPP code.

If you just want TAP you should be able to find a couple of implementations on the Web or create one in RPG or C fairly easily.

Good Luck,
JMS...