Girish

There are a number of things to do. Performance with ODBC, as with any SQL process, is helped most by having appropriate indexes to support the query. There is a setting on recent versions of the ODBC driver, to turn on STRDBG when you run ODBC. Also, to create a joblog in the ODBC server job (QZDASOINIT). When you STRDBG, optimizer messages are put into the job log, and some of those messages tell you what index the system may have tried to use, and other things. The place to find out more about this is the Database Performance and Optimization manual, listed under manuals under the Database section of InfoCenter.

There's also a manual from some time ago, on ODBC in Client Access for Win 95, that has lots of good info on this. For example, if the VB app is using the Jet engine with ODBC, you are dead in the water - it takes the absolutely worst assumptions for ODBC. Go to <www.iseries.ibm.com/clientaccess> and click on the "IBM Library" link on the left. I found <http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QBKADE01/CCONTENTS>. Some of the newer stuff is not there, but it's still the best resource I know of for ODBC.

OpsNav (recent versions) has some advisory stuff. <COMMERCIAL COMING> And we specialize in products for optimizing & controlling SQL access. You could get a demo of one, sql/OPTIMIZER, and see if it'd help you. <COMMERCIAL OVER>

HTH

Vern - <www.centerfieldtechnology.com>